Papers for All!
Resist Trump and the Democrats!
No More Deportations!
Self Defense Is Not Enough! Build the Government of Workers and the Oppressed!
San Francisco is at war with Washington, D.C.
On Wednesday, January 25, 2017, Donald Trump, Republican President of the United States of America declared his intent to deny federal funding to all U.S. cities identified as “Sanctuary Cities” by their policy to not collaborate with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Agency, AKA I.C.E—in arresting and deporting undocumented immigrants to their countries of origin.
Also on Wednesday, January 25, 2017, Ed Lee, Democratic Mayor of San Francisco, California, declared his intent to resist Trump’s strictures against “Sanctuary Cities” by continuing the policy of non-collaboration with I.C.E.
On Thursday, January 26, 2017, I.C.E. agents armed with batons presented arrest notices for two people at El Buen Samaritano, a family resource center and housing complex located in San Francisco’s Mission District, demanding they be turned over. Staff immediately responded in defense of the building, refusing to open the doors. We applaud the courage of these employees and pledge our voices and our strength to support them in their cause.
San Francisco is at war with Washington, D.C.
Many concluded that this “enforcement action” was aimed at enforcing President Trump’s draconian immigration policies. In truth, deployments of anti-immigration storm troopers like this one were regular occurrences under the regime of recent ex-President Barack Obama, known in the immigrant community as the “Deporter in Chief.” Trump’s policies are but amplifications of the continuous state terror against Black, Brown, incarcerated, and undocumented people under Democrats and Republicans alike.
It is past time that we organized to defend ourselves.
We should recognize Mayor Lee’s speech for what it is: a nice sentiment with almost no plan to actually prevent San Francisco’s undocumented immigrants from being deported. If Mayor Lee wants to play a real leadership role and not a phony one, he should:
- Make any Sheriff’s Deputy or any police officer, including Sheriff Vicki Hennessy and Chief of Police William Scott, subject to immediate termination for collaboration with the I.C.E. or failure to report those who collaborate with I.C.E.
- Place all resources of the Sheriff’s and Police Departments at the service of independent, democratic self-defense committees of immigrants, workers, and the oppressed.
- Tax San Francisco’s real estate interests, big banks, and other downtown big businesses to recover any funds stripped from the City by the Trump Administration and place these funds at the disposal of independent, democratic self-defense committees of immigrants, workers, and the oppressed.
We think it virtually impossible that Mayor Lee will take any serious measures against collaboration with I.C.E. Remember that he campaigned for anti-sanctuary Sheriff Vicki Hennessy in 2015. Remember that Sheriff’s deputies and police officers regularly violate the “Sanctuary City” policy by making courtesy calls to I.C.E. when they release undocumented immigrants from their custody. Remember that Mayor Lee maintained his unqualified support for the Sheriff’s and Police Departments while they murdered Latinos, African Americans, and homeless people as part of their ongoing, coordinated campaign to drive the poor from our City, just as Trump is trying to do for the country. Remember Mayor Lee’s support of Hillary Clinton for President, who implicitly promised to continue ex-President Obama’s policy of granting amnesty to a few immigrants deemed deserving while deporting more immigrants than any previous U.S. President.
Remember these things and know that Mayor Ed Lee cannot be trusted with the defense of the immigrant community. Again, it is past time that we organized to defend ourselves.
As founding members of the Immigrants Rights Movement (MDI), we raise once again the following demands:
- Papers for All!!! For a full, unconditional amnesty for all undocumented immigrants living in the U.S.
- No More Deportations!!! For the right to all immigrants under attack from the Trump Administration to defend themselves from federal, state, and local law enforcement by any means they deem necessary
- Resist Trump and the Democrats!!! For independent, democratic self-defense committees of immigrants, workers, and the oppressed supported and funded by a democratic coalition of community organizations, trade unions, immigrants rights groups, and the left.
- Self-defense is not enough! Build the Government of Workers and the Oppressed!!! For elected community councils to lead the resistance to Trump’s resurrection of the misnamed “Secure Communities” policy.
For more information, contact the Left Party at (415) 532-7720 – email@example.com